I have been asked often enough if they can grow beautiful roses. If you follow these simple guidelines, you will. Back in 1971, I was a novice gardener but fell in love with roses and the rest is history.
So you want to grow beautiful roses but can you do it? The resounding answer is
YES, YOU CAN grow beautiful roses!
If you follow the following Basic Rose Culture, you’ll be on your way to have beautiful roses in your garden:
- Buy only strong healthy plants. Buy your roses from reliable sources.
- Rose needs a minimum of 4 hours of sunlight, lots of drainage and away from tree roots.
- Before you start planting, do a soil test. The ideal pH for roses is 6.0 – 6.5.
- Dig a hole at least 18” deep and 18” in diameter. Mix soil 1/3 organic matter (peat moss) with 2/3 soil from the hole. Put a handful of Epsom salt, a banana peel and a handful of superphospate in the hole.
- Space rose bushes at least 3 ft apart for good air circulation for hybrid teas and floribundas. English roses and other…
View original post 156 more words