Per Goodreads definition, Historical Fiction are novels that re-create a period or event in history and often use historical figures as some of its characters. To be deemed historical, a novel must have been written at least fifty years after the events described. Out of the hundred books listed at Goodreads under Best Historical Fiction, I picked up 1 – 19 listed below as truly Historical Fiction. I added 6 more to make the list as my 25 Favorite Historical Fiction books in my library. I want to read as many as I can. So far I have read 11 of them. I have a lot of catching up to do. I fully intend to in between my writing my next historical novel, “The Iron Butterfly”.
1. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell – saw the movie several times but haven’t fully read the book. Will start again one of these days.
2. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett – Just finished reading it, quite long, you wonder when the villain will get his comeuppance.
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – picked it up years ago but could not continue.
4. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck – read recently.
5. Shogun by James Clavell – read it years ago, intend to reread it.
6. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough – read it years ago
7. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Ecco – started reading it but stopped.
8. World Without End by Ken Follett – Want To Read list.
9. Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley – saw the movie, never read the book.
10. War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Want To Read list
11. The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone – Want To Read list
12. Scarlet Pimpernell by Emmuska Orczy – read it years ago. Will most likely read it again.
13. Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd – Another long book, read recently, could not keep track of those Welsh names, quite interesting though.
14. Centennial by James A. Michener – Want To Read list
15. Tai-Pan by James Clavell – Want To Read list
16. Hawaii by James A. Michener – started reading months ago, will continue.
17. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett – read recently
18. London by Edward Rutherfurd – Want To Read list
19. North and South by John Jakes – Want To Read list
More Historical Fiction books in my library:
1. Winter of the World by Ken Follett – Want To Read list
2. New York by Edward Rutherfurd – read recently
3. Paris by Edward Rutherfurd – Want To Read list
4. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly – read recently
5. The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly – read recently, love this one better than The Tea Rose
6 A Distant Trumpet by Paul Horgan – read recently.