U.S. Army 244th Birthday / Flag Day

Happy Flag Day and Happy Birthday U.S. Army!

Pacific Paratrooper

244 Years Strong

THE U.S. ARMY

AMERICA’S FIRST NATIONAL INSTITUTION

Since its official establishment, June 14, 1775 — more than a year before the Declaration of Independence — the U.S. Army has played a vital role in the growth and development of the American nation. Drawing on both long-standing militia traditions and recently introduced professional standards, it won the new republic’s independence in an arduous eight-year struggle against Great Britain. At times, the Army provided the lone symbol of nationhood around which patriots rallied.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO VIEW THESE TWO (2) VERY SHORT VIDEOS.  THANK YOU

*****          *****          *****

Tomorrow is also Flag Day, an annual observance of the Second Continental Congress’ official adoption of the stars and stripes in 1777. At the time, they “resolved that the flag of the 13 United States” be represented by 13 alternating red and white stripes and the union…

View original post 287 more words

Advertisements

The Philippines Independence Day – True Fact

Subli

Philippine Flag

June 12 is the Philippine Independence Day, recognized through Proclamation No. 28 signed by then President Diosdado Macapagal on May 12, 1962 citing Emilio Aguinaldo’s establishment of the Philippine Republic from Spain. Congress then formally designated June 12 as the date of Philippine independence by passing Republic Act No. 4166 in 1964.

Despite what Aguinaldo said that June 12 marked our people’s declaration and exercise of our right to self-determination, liberty and independence, the United States which gained control of the Philippines from the Spaniards, refused to recognize it so in essence Philippine independence was not won in 1898.

When I was growing up, Philippine Independence Day was July 4 which to me make more sense.

In 1935, the Commonwealth of the Philippines was established with U.S. approval and Manuel L. Quezon was elected the country’s first president. On July 4, 1946, the Republic of the Philippines was granted full…

View original post 250 more words

12 Images of D-Day From The Artists Who Were There — Through the Shattered Lens

Ups and Downs of Family History V2.0

Today is the 75th anniversary of D-Day. On this day, in 1944, the Allied forces landed at the beaches of Normandy and, against overwhelming odds, began the liberation of Nazi-occupied France and later all of Western Europe. At least 4,400 Allied soldiers lost their lives on that day so that others could live free and, […]

via 12 Images of D-Day From The Artists Who Were There — Through the Shattered Lens.

View original post

June Festival – Pigs on Parade

Subli

Lechon

In Chinese culture, the Lunar New Year 2019 is the Year of the Pig where Chinese communities around the world celebrated the Year of the Pig Parade last February. Here in the U.S., several states celebrate Pigs on Parade for fundraising events using live pigs. In the Philippines, the folks of the towns of Balayan and Batangas feature the crispy roast pig or lechon at their annual local fiesta in June. The lechons go on parade surrounded by barbed wire to deter greedy hands.

At the centerpiece of any Filipino fiesta table, the lechon, or whole roast pig, is king. So prized is this succulent dish that the folks of Balayan in Batangas have highlighted the feast of their patron saint, St. John, with a tribute to golden-red lechon. On the eve of the fiesta, an anniversary ball is held at the town plaza, where the lechon queen is…

View original post 185 more words

A Cannon from the Civil War ship USS R.R. Cuyler in Oyster Bay

Long Island Past and Present

Cannon from RR Culyer Photo Credit – ldoysterbay.com

At Derby-Hall Bandstand in Townsend Park in Oyster Bay, there are three cannons. One of them situated at the foot of the stairs of Derby-Hall Bandstand is a circa 1861 Civil War trophy gun from the ship USS R.R. Cuyler.

On June 26, 1903, in front of the Town Clerk’s office on Audrey Avenue, President Theodore Roosevelt unveiled a Civil War parrot gun from the cruiser USS R.R. Culyer. It is a 30-pound Parrott rifle and weighs 3,510 lb.

The gun was originally given by the Navy to the Oyster Bay High School to be placed in front of the school. The school was then on the corner of Weeks Avenue and Anstice Street, but the Board of Education felt that the gun would be more appropriate in front of the Town Clerk’s office. The Town Board and the Navy both agreed with the change…

View original post 296 more words

MEMORIAL DAY 2019

Lest we forget. Remember the Fallen!!

Pacific Paratrooper

Luxembourg American Cemetery

Just a Common Soldier (A Soldier Died Today)

by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho’ sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we’ll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world’s a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,

Michael, my son.

For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world…

View original post 506 more words

History of Bauan Cathedral

Subli

Bauan Church Batangas Photo Credit – Facebook

Bauan Cathedral, located in the center of town of Bauan, Batangas, across the town plaza shared a long history with the town itself. It is interesting how the church evolved throughout the centuries.

The first church of Bauan was not located at the present site. Since the Mission of Bauan was a visita (Spanish colony) of Taal, the first church was built along the southern shores of Taal Lake in a place called Tambo.

Bauan Parish was founded on May 17, 1590 as Lumang Bauan (Old Bauan) and became an independent parish on May 12, 1596.

Since its foundation, the Bauan Parish has been relocated three times.

1667 – Fr. Jose Rodriguez built another church in a place called Durungao to escape the violent eruptions of Taal Volcano.

1671 – Fr. Nicolas de Rivera relocated the church to Loual.

1692 – Another church was built near…

View original post 329 more words